Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Santa Cruz



You never know where life is going to take you... or how people you meet and connect with briefly, will turn up later and be just as enjoyable. This is the reason I have the opportunity to visit Santa Cruz, CA and a dear friend.

Back in the mid-80's while working for a shoreline catering company, I briefly met Betsy McNair - a talented chef/caterer, music lover, fun and crazy, in a good sort of way. We've crossed paths occasionally over the past 20+ years via email, phone, a quick meal here or there. Betsy has lived in Santa Cruz for almost as long... so we made a plan to visit when I came for the wedding.

I chose to drive from LA to Santa Cruz on US Rte. 1/101 over two days and 9+ hours to take advantage of the scenery. Had I known how great Santa Cruz was, I might have taken the alternate faster route so that I could have stayed longer!

Established as a mission in 1791 and an hour (or less) south of San Francisco, this historic city has a great vibe. Home to the University of California - Santa Cruz, it has the energy of a college town - incredibly liberal; a great music scene; sustainable living in progress, including amazing farms/restaurants; an artists'haven - sculpture, murals, poster, painting, pottery, galleries galore.

Architecture ranges from gorgeous Victorian homes to Arts & Crafts bungalows, Mission-style houses - many along the beach front. The Santa Cruz boardwalk, as well as the large number of rehabbed deco theatres which now survive as concert halls, draw a variety of tourists.

If I had to guess, other than the great people I met while visiting, I'd have to say that it's the lifestyle that's a draw to me. Relaxed, healthy, affordable produce and flowers - nice!

Take a peek:




No comments:

Post a Comment