Friday, August 14, 2009

Alot can happen in almost 30 years!

As I mentioned previously, Erin and I haven't been here together since 1982. (and we're finding it interesting what each of us remembers - or doesn't - from that trip!)


We spent most of yesterday getting our bearings. Breakfast at "Polly's" - a local coffee shop situated directly on The Pier in Redondo Beach. Not really a tourist destination, unless you are lucky enough to have a family of foodies who always know the best little places to go for great food and reasonable prices! (One of my Uncle's favorite things used to be to give a "junk food" tour of greater LA - he is a huge aficionado of the "Taco Truck" circuit.)


So a quick walk to the Pier for breakfast. Picture weathered grey deck, a view of the now very built up Palos Verdes Peninsula in the distance - pelicans greeting the returning fishing boats and local day fishers proudly carrying their catch of the day (Sea Bass) while talking of the number of sharks they saw.


Owner(?) Luis, continuously pours mas cafe while we peruse the breakfast and lunch menus; Cindy makes us feel like regulars with her welcoming style. Already 12:30pm - we still choose breakfast - and how can you NOT - huevos rancheros, eggs with chorizo, fluffy omelettes with real crab (no surimi here!) - my plate hasn't arrived and I've already decided I'll be back. Salsa takes me home to the Emery-Sotelo recipe from the DF - tho Luis uses jalapeno instead of serrano chiles and adds pimiento. Still amazing! I licked the 2 oz. solo cup clean!


ONWARD

Those who know me know how I value my independence, and while wedding transportation is being provided - Erin and I decide to rent a car for the next few days. Off we go to Enterprise, where for $22 a day we are ensconced in a speedy, clean Nissan "Versa". A quick trip "up the hill" brings us to our Aunt and Uncle's home in Palos Verdes Estates, where we say a quick hello to animals and humans alike.


One of the things that really surprises me is how built up everything is. Granted, I haven't been here since 1982, was much younger, in a period of healing and since it was a first-time visit, maybe didn't have the "right glasses on"... but the amount of build up on the the PV hill is really astounding to me. What I remember as a view of a green, tree'd hillside is now PACKED with homes all clamoring for a view. A bit sad, actually.


THE GROOM (& Bride too!)

Next stop, Western Vet Group in Lomita where cousin Michael Zareski, DVM has recently purchased and rehabbed an existing 30 yr old veterinary practice... and when we get there - Shanna's there too! I haven't seen her in a couple of years and Erin's never met her - so it's a great treat. I think our arrival may have been an "aha" moment for Michael... that this wedding was really happening in 48 hours. We are all thrilled to be together!


The rest of the day is spent relaxing, reading, a casual dinner with extended family on The Strand at Scotty's... official events begin tonight (Friday) - after we grab some beach/pool time, maybe have a massage and try to get to the Hermosa Beach Farmer's Market...







No comments:

Post a Comment